Wednesday, November 19, 2003

Killing Off the MP3s, One Dot at a Time

Down went stationmp3.com, down went musicbuilder.com. MusicBank.net silently sunk beneath the rising tide. Now mp3.com, which had already taken to sucking in its only-3-tracks-per-per mode of operation some time ago, is imploding. Whatever shall I? Do? nothingnothing? This linking to unheard-of mp3s thing, demonstrated here in a haphazard, not-done-nearly-enough method (what can one expect when ones halakamates all refuse to offer input?), is going to be in trouble if there are no longer any sites for storing/streaming/downloading unheard of mp3s. Already for my "recent" posts I've had to rely on linking to individual artist sites, which usually means I find what's already being linked to from someone else, and so the "unheard-of" part sort of flies out the box. Whatevershalli? In the coming some-period-of-time, I'm going to link to some artists who I linked to back when I started the Slippery Stump stations on mp3.com, from which this place, in some roundabout sort of way, descended. A lot of the artists there don't have links to other sites of their own, so it's going to be difficult dealing with those. I'm downloading some mp3s now from those artists into a central repository here, thinking later maybe... something will happen. Everything will happen. IT will be glorious. I am wound like a pinenut. This may be a nasty business. As I search through the artist sites the mp3.com sites link to, I find that a good many of them link back to mp3.com when it comes to the part where they're supposed to be giving out mp3s. It's all a cyclical helical gizmo, and we're bound to eat our own tails because of it. For now: Bad Calm Zero is housed at Sound and Chaos. They were highlighted at our Slippery Mellow Stump station. I'm linking that now in the off chance anyone can get there and find what musics we had to show you there before it joins its dead brethren. Other Slippery Stumps: Slippery Stump Slippery Indie Crack Stump The Charred Stump The Slippery Kick Stump The Slippery Blue Grassy Stump Also: this gathering of artists from my stations idea was prompted by Mickale from Black Water Music, who sent me an e-mail. He's trying to centrally collect links of mp3.com artists, and is looking for help. Once I've gotten my stations taken care of I'll probably send him the info.

No comments: